Saturday, February 6, 2016

My Parents Taught Me About Silence

my parents taught me about silence
but not the broken glass in the air kind
not the pain slicing through you
eyes welling with tears
swollen throat silence
my parents taught me about good silence
the kind that fills you
all of us in the car
no one is speaking
radio off
just the rumbling of the engine
and since I know the difference
I know that this silence
is not the one my parents taught me
my silence feels empty
I live in the barrel of a gun
that has just been fired
such intense emptiness that
it feels like the walls are caving in
a crushing
a bullet was displaced
somewhere in the fight and
nothing came to fill the gap
I live in a vacuum
in space, there are such cold, empty places
vacuums which consist of not a single molecule
in these vacuums, there is immense compression
as if the walls are caving in
a crushing
a bullet displaced
if you do not attempt
to hold your breath
or fight the compression,
you will maintain consciousness
for about 10-15 seconds
in this time,
you will feel the moisture leave your tongue
your heart rate will rise
your skin will turn blue
and your body will swell
it will expand
to twice its normal size
you will grow
but you won’t explode
your skin is strong enough
to hold you in
on the bad days,
I try to remember this
that sometimes,
we can only grow
when it feels like we can’t breathe
when your heart is pounding
when the silence is so intense
it will kill you
but the reason that the
human body can not survive
a vacuum is not that it is weak
but because the oxygen flow stops
so remind yourself to breathe
but don’t hold your breath

No comments:

Post a Comment